Monday, October 6, 2014

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Is it a rock? Or is it a potato? Let's see if it will hurt
when I throw it on your foot.
(that's me, not sure how old.... my Mum can tell you)
Aren't I CUTE!
My earliest memory from my childhood, of what I wanted to be when I grew up was, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I remember doing drawings of clothes I wanted to make, then actually attempting some of them out of scraps of fabric I found in my Mums sewing stash. This probably lasted a summer… a year at the most. When I got older I wanted to be a hairdresser. This one lasted for years and still exists. When I was a kid I was doing perms and haircuts on most of my friends and even on some of the parents in my street. I would braid my girlfriend’s hair in the morning at school. I even attended a technical college course. That was a whole different lifetime ago. After that I wanted to do drug counseling. I figured the experience I had with the subject matter, I would be pretty good at it. I also wanted to be an interior designer. I was re arranging my room at least once a month! I remember being obsessed with wanting to paint my room ‘bubblegum green’, not teal or aqua, it was ‘bubblegum green’. I ended up with a very pink room. Which was weird, because I was kind of a tom boy. To this day though, I still cut hair. One of my friends prefers me doing her hair over going to a trained person. I'm sure a FREE haircut is a bonus, but I usually do a better job! It's really hard for me to have other people cut my kids hair. Holden is the only one that's had a haircut in a salon. 

I don’t know if either of my parents had any particular aspirations for me. I don’t know if they ever thought “Nichole would be a really good teacher” or “Nichole is really good with babies, she should go into pediatric nursing”. After finishing high school, or even during, there was never any talk about going onto to further education anywhere. It was like it was never an option. Actually, I Ieft high school a few months into the 11th grade to go to that technical college to do the hairdressing introduction course. I should have stayed in school and finished year 12. Regret that choice. Those last years of school for me were a very tumultuous time in my life. I wasn’t living at home.

Now I’m all grown up and I have no idea what I want to be or do. I like to experience a little bit of everything. I think that’s the Sagittarius in me.  The thing is, I don’t have the time or the money to go to school to get a college degree anymore. But I'm doing OK for myself without it.

In America, most parents are thinking about their kids’ college education before they are even born. Without any consideration as to what the kid might want to do with his/her life. And then there’s my kids. Based on what I know about my kids, Holden is going to go into some kind of computer science field and make bucket loads of money. Ashton is going to play baseball for the national league. Delainey is going to be some kind of visual artist. Holden and Ashton will supplement her income as she will be a struggling artist. I don’t know if they know what they want to be when they grow up, but I know from their little personalities what they are capable of (right now anyway). Keenan and I talk about the potential each one of them has. Each one of them is so different from the other. Their personality traits are so easy to recognize. Of course they can be and do what ever they want to do. But they have to listen to my suggestions ;o)

We all have hopes and dreams for our kids to be happy and successful when they grow up. One thing I can do to help them realize their potential is to nurture and encourage them. Guide them, but not control them. Be their center. Make sure they know that where ever they go in the world, they will be able to find their way back to me and that I am behind them every step of the way. I will make sure they know that we have high expectations for them, and if they don’t reach their potential they will be reminded of what miserable failures they are. I’M KIDDING. I’d be happy if they wanted to travel the world and not go to college at all. It’s their choice. Their decision.


I know if I could… I would…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In the picture you would have been about 2.5. The photo was taken at Berowra. A lot of the comments you made about your aspirations for your own children are how I raised you...I never tried to control you, one reason why you were not living at home when you could have been finishing High School. I always wanted whatever made my kids happy. A bad choice on my part was one reason your lives took the direction they did. Possibly you might not be where you are now if I had done things a lot different. You always wanted to be a hair dresser and I would have been happy to see you follow that dream. I do remember that the last colour your bedroom was painted is blue, not bubblegum, not teal..but 2 different shades of blue, you chose it..but I am proud of everything you have achieved...love Mum